Postcode: 6065  |  Distance to CBD: 25km

 

In the early days of the Swan River Colony, the district of Wanneroo represented an "outer" region and it is not until 1834, that an excursion into the area by any explorers or settlers is recorded. In that year, a party of four led by John Butler, travelled about 35 miles north from Perth to search for lost cattle and passed through the area just to the east of Lake Joondalup. Butler stated that the aborigines of the area were "those Wanneroo men who frequent Perth in company with the Yellowgonga tribe." It is not known when early settlers started using the name "Wanneroo", but, as early as 1842, a Surveyor recorded "road to Wanneroo" and in 1844, James Dobbins gave his address as Wanneroo. A government townsite was gazetted as "Wanneru" in August 1907 and it was not until May 1953 that the spelling was amended to "Wanneroo".
 

History

The origins of European interaction in the Wanneroo area date back to 1834. A timeline summary is listed below. Leaflets on the History of Wanneroo and the Lime Kilns of Wanneroo are available from City of Wanneroo libraries, museums and the Civic Centre.

 

1834

Explorer John Butler led the first recorded excursion to the Wanneroo Area looking for lost cattle. They had a friendly meeting with men from the Yellagonga tribe.

1838

Lieutenant George Grey travelled through Wanneroo and his party was given 27 fresh-water tortoises by the local aborigines. They were told that the lake was called Mooloore. Grey noted 'remarkable' caves in the Yanchep area.

1838

T Watson conducted first land surveys in Wanneroo area. Later that year the first land (parcels of 1000 acres) was taken up - by a partnership of Hodges, Connolly, Hester and Dobbins. A second syndicate of Shenton, Moore, Rogers and Jeffers soon purchased land.

1841

Surveyor John Septimus Roe and Governor Hutt travelled to Yanchep and visited - the Yanchep Caves.

1844

Methodist missionary Rev John Smithes established Mission Farm near Lake Goollelal as a farm to be worked and lived on by aboriginal people under the guidance of the church.

1849

Mr Patrick Marmion established a whaling station at Sorrento (now Surf Lifesaving Club site).

1850

James Cockman and his wife Mary Anne, who were among the first Wanneroo settlers, arrived.

1852

The barque ‘Eglinton’ was wrecked on a reef – now Eglinton Rocks

1871

Local government started in WA. Wanneroo was part of the Perth Districts Road Board and there were about 60 European families in the Wanneroo area.

1874

First Wanneroo school opened near Lake Goollelal.

1883

Wanneroo received its first mail service.

1887

Aborigines were granted 809 hectares at Gnangara for a reserve.

1889

North West Stock Route gazetted.

1899

The Wanneroo State School was opened with 14 students. (The School house has been moved to Perry’s Paddock.)

1901

Gnangara land was taken back from the Aborigines.

1902

Wanneroo Road Board was gazetted on 29 October 1902.

1903

16 January - first meeting of the Wanneroo Road Board was held in School house. Cockman House was used for meetings for the next two years.

1904

East Wanneroo School opened. The classroom was moved to the Wanneroo School in 1928 and has now been moved to Perry’s Paddock.

1907

Town site gazetted as ‘Wanneru’.

1908

Wanneroo residents called for a rail link with Perth.

1909

The Agricultural Society organised the first Wanneroo Show and built a hall.

1917

The schooner ‘Alex T Brown’ was wrecked south of Wreck Point in Two Rocks.

1920

The Agricultural Hall was purchased by the Road Board to become their offices with a façade on the front.

1921

A Memorial Stone was erected in Wanneroo in honour of the nine men who lost their lives in World War I.

1931

Wanneroo Road extended to Yanchep. Grand opening of Yanchep (National) Park.

1932

The first church, St Anthony's, was opened.

1944

10th Light Horse Regiment in camp at what is now the 10th Light Horse Trail.

1950

March. Wanneroo Road Board was disbanded because of local conflict (such as the beach shacks) and it was replaced by a commissioner. June. A new Road Board was elected.

1953

Spelling of Wanneroo officially adopted, rather than Wanneru.

1954

Electricity arrived in Wanneroo. First naturalisation ceremony held.

1957

The Wanneroo Road Board was again replaced by a Commissioner because of community disharmony

1959

Street lighting installed in Wanneroo townsite. Replacement Wanneroo Primary School opened.

1960

The new Wanneroo Road, Health and Vermin Board Office was opened in July at 935 Wanneroo Rd.

1961

The Wanneroo Road Board becomes a Shire.

1970

The State Government's


Heritage Places
The City of Wanneroo is proud of its rich cultural heritage and encourages residents to visit our local heritage places.


Cockman House
Located on Ocean Reef Road in Woodvale near the Wanneroo Road intersection, Cockman House is the oldest surviving residence in Wanneroo. Built in 1860, the house has been beautifully restored to the era prior to 1920 and now reflects the history of the Cockman family, presenting a fine example of dwellings of the pioneer phases of settlement. Cockman House is open on Sundays from 2pm-5pm. Entry is free. Bookings for events such as weddings and photographs, and group visits at other times are available by calling 9405 5000.

Buckingham House
Located at 10 Neville Drive in Wanneroo, Buckingham House is an old colonial four-roomed cottage that was built by John Buckingham during the decade 1880 to 1890. Today Buckingham House offers an interesting educational program for school children that focuses on life in Wanneroo at the turn of the century. The program is organised through schools. Group visits are also available.

For bookings please call 0405 5000.

Perry's Paddock
Perry's Paddock is located adjacent to Cockman House on Ocean Reef Road in Woodvale. Features include the old Wanneroo Government School, which was located to the site in 1992, the remains of Perry's Buildings and olive trees that are more than 100 years old.


10th Light Horse Trail
The 10th Light Horse Heritage Trail is situated in the Neerabup National Park adjacent to Wanneroo Road, just north of the Flynn Drive turnoff. During World War II, the 10th Light Horse played a prominent role in defending our coastline. It is a 1.3 kilometre walk trail taking in ten significant sites including horse lines, ammunition dump, quarter-master store and the cookhouse.

North West Stock Route
The North West Stock Route extended from Star Swamp in North Beach to Walkaway near Geraldton and passed through Wanneroo. It followed the former North Road between Perth and Champion Bay. The Route was gazetted in 1889 and was used by drovers and travellers as well as being the route for the overland mail service to Geraldton.


During World War Two, the Stock Route was for some time the only road available for Army movements up and down the coast. The North West Stock Route was also used by holiday makers to access camping sports along the coast between Yanchep and Dongara, until it was superseded by a better network of roads and highways.


Cooper's Lime Kilns
Situated in Cooper's Park, Fairport Vista Mindarie, Cooper's Lime Kilns were established in 1932 by Henry Cooper and his sons. These kilns played an integral role in supplying lime to Kalgoorlie's gold mining industry for more than 10 years. The kilns, which underwent restoration in 2001, are today historically significant due to their association with the Cooper family who were the first permanant residents of Quinns Rocks.

Get Active

Want to take a walk around our beautiful area, download the City of Joondalup Walking Maps.

 

 

Local Schools

Banksia Grove Catholic Primary School

St Anthonys

East Wanneroo P.S.

Wanneroo P.S.

Wanneroo S.H.S.

Irene McCormack Catholic College

St Anthony's School

 

 

Other Nearby Schools

St Stephen's School (Tapping)

 

 

Shops

Wanneroo Village

 

 

Transport

Bus service to Whitfords train Station

 

 

Train Stations

Whitfords

 

 

 

 

 

 

website created by elite heat web